EWRS Working Group:
Physical and Cultural Weed Control
What is physical weed control?
It includes the following weed control techniques: Mechanical weed control, soil tillage, thermal weed control, mulching, preventive and cultural methods, solarization and electromagnetic weed control.
Although not exhaustive, it encompasses the following disciplines: Weed science, Soil science, Engineering Economics, Crop husbandry and other plant related disciplines.
Objectives of our working group:
- Encouraging the international collaboration and support of research in physical weed control and its application in sustainable agriculture;
- Inform group members about newly emerging possibilities for physical weed control, industrial expertise, possibilities for cooperation and potential sources for financial support;
- Initiate joint-projects and research programs on the European scale to promote the integration of physical weed control into existing crop protection strategies;
- Establishing and maintaining contacts with physical weed control groups outside Europe;
- Reviewing the knowledge on physical weed control to clarify research needs;
- Promotion of physical weed control methods in Europe;
- Investigation of combined use of physical, cultural and chemical control methods within a production system;
- Organizing biennial meetings and workshops.