EWRS Workshop 'Integrated Weed Management (IWM) systems in the agroecology context; new challenges'
Meeting of the WG 'Sustainable Use of Herbicides'
Cambridge, UK, 24th to 26th of May 2023
First physical WG meeting after the pandemic - join us in Cambridge
Integrated Weed Management (IWM) systems in the agroecology context; new challenges.
NIAB, Cambridge, UK
24th to 26th of May 2023
The aim of this 3-day workshop meeting is to exchange current research results and knowledge related to the sustainable use of herbicides, utilization of IWM systems and agroecology practices that reduce the amounts and risks of herbicides in European cropping systems. The scope of the workshop is in direct relation to the Farm to Fork EU strategy, the objectives of the Green Deal and the latest Sustainable Use of pesticides Regulation (SUR). Strong input & participation from the industry is welcome.
A good number of postgraduate students and early-stage career scientists (i.e. Master/PhD-students and scientists younger than 35 years of age) that are giving a presentation (oral or poster) at the workshop can receive a refund that will cover part of their accommodation and travel expenses.
The meeting will include a field trip to visualize the latest developments in the sustainable use of herbicides.
- Biology & ecology of weeds related to management practices;
- Cultivation novelties (rotations, tillage, cover crops, mulching and intercropping);
- Non-chemical tools (flaming, mechanical weeding, biocontrol agents, seed treatments, weed competitive crops);
- Smart & digital solutions to minimize use and risk (DSS, robotics, spraying systems, UAVs)
- Local organizers: William Smith, NIAB (firstname.lastname@example.org); Lynn Tatnell, ADAS (email@example.com)
- Leader of the EWRS Working Group: Demosthenis Chachalis (firstname.lastname@example.org); Deputy Leader: Milena Simic (email@example.com)
UPDATED PROGRAMME (22 May 2023)
Please download HERE the detailed programme
TUESDAY MAY 23, 2023: Free night, city centre gathering of participants (to be communicated)
DAY 1 – WEDNESDAY MAY 24, 2023
8.30-12.00 Scientific Programme
12.00–13.30 Lunch Break
13.30–16.50 Focus group discussion: Thematology is about IWM systems in agroecology context; scope is a joint review paper to be submitted in the Weed Research Journal by the working group active members
DAY 2 – THURSDAY MAY 25, 2023
8.40–12.00 Scientific Programme
12.00 Lunch boxes (baguette, water, fruit)
12.00–17.00 Field trip – NIAB Research Field Station
19.00 Group Dinner: Trinity College, Cambridge
DAY 3 – FRIDAY MAY 26, 2023
9.00-12.00 Scientific Programme
12.00-13.30 Lunch break
13.30–14.00 Wrap up, closing session
The meeting will take place in the National Institute of Agriculture Botany, 93 Lawrence Weaver Road, Cambridge, CB3 0LE, UK.
TRAVEL GRANTS TO STUDENTS/EARLY CAREER SCIENTISTS
- A short motivation letter
- A curriculum vitae
- An estimate of the costs for travel and accommodation
- A statement from the home institute that they will cover the remainder of the expenses for travel and accommodation, should the travel grant be awarded.
REGISTRATION, ABSTRACT SUBMISSION AND DEADLINES
Please note. some deadlines have been exended
- Abstract submission Template will be found online at https://ewrs.org/en/info/Events/EWRS-Workshop--39-Integrated-Weed-Management--IWM--systems-in-the-agroecology-context--new-challenges-39 , where you can also obtain the most recent information concerning the workshop.
If you run into any trouble, please do not hesitate to contact the Scientific organizers of the Working group.
We look forward to meeting you in Cambridge, UK!